mist-netting for monarchs?

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Fri Sep 15 11:09:32 EDT 2000

Hey all,  Please see comments re: migrating P. sennae.   The someone
in Florida is Dr. Tom Walker.  He was one of my profs while I was in
Gainesville.   He had (still has?) giant flight traps on his property
and has looked at migrating habits of a handful of species.

Take care,  Rich

      Cris wrote:
>There was a series of articles by someone in Florida who used giant "malaise
>traps" to capture migrating butterflies such as Monarchs. I cannot remember
>where the articles were published, but most likely Journal of the
>Lepidopterists' Society, 1970s or 1980s. The traps only captured migrating
>butterflies, because they were focussed on directional flight regardless of
>obstacles.

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Plant Division