Caterpillar ID - Western Penna.

slainte at avalon.net slainte at avalon.net
Sun Sep 17 18:21:31 EDT 2000

Hi - hoping someone can help me identify a caterpillar I found while out
hiking today.  It's about 1/2 inch long and about 1/4 inch in diameter.
 Its back and sides are a light green, and there's a red shape like a
maple leaf on its back with the stem-part of the leaf shape pointed
toward its head.  It seems to have extremely tiny cilia-like legs and
oozes along more than moves like most caterpillars I've known.  Its
mouth is recessed underneath and it has very tiny pincers or jaws or
whatever they'd be called.

I'm in Western Pennsylvania, and the caterpillar was found making its
way up the bark of a black maple sapling.  Thanks for anyone's help!

-Karen (slainte at avalon.net)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.