Caterpillar ID - W. Pennsylvania

slainte5555 at my-deja.com slainte5555 at my-deja.com
Sun Sep 17 18:18:03 EDT 2000

Hi - hoping someone can help me identify a caterpillar I found while out
hiking today.  It's about 1/2 inch long and about 1/4 inch in diameter.  Its
back and sides are a light green, and there's a red shape like a maple leaf
on its back with the stem-part of the leaf shape pointed toward its head.  It
seems to have extremely tiny cilia-like legs and oozes along more than moves
like most caterpillars I've known.  Its mouth is recessed underneath and it
has very tiny pincers or jaws or whatever they'd be called.

I'm in Western Pennsylvania, and the caterpillar was found making its way up
the bark of a black maple sapling.  Thanks for anyone's help!

-Karen (slainte at avalon.net)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.