Scanning moths or other insects

Charles Bird cbird at heartland.ab.ca
Wed Sep 20 14:19:45 EDT 2000

I have an HP ScanJet 5200C scanner. I create images of set moths by
sticking them into a unit tray then placing the tray upside down on the
glass of my scanner. The moths are about 1 cm from the glass. The images I
obtain are not as sharp as I would like making me feel that the depth of
field of this scanner is inadequate. A friend uses a KTX 4800 SP scanner
and another a UMAX Astra 1220U. Both get sharper images than I do. A
salesman in the London Drugs in Red Deer says that an AGFA SnapScan Touch
would give me the results I want. I contacted AGFA but the reply I got was
that they have no test results for this kind of scanning. I would be
interested in responses to the above from anyone who is pleased with the
results that they are getting.

I would also be interested in recommendations as to the best software to
use for sharpening and adjusting the images and for adding the text line. I
use Adobe Photoshop 5.5. It adjusts the image OK but will not allow me to
add text to a .jpg image, instead insisting that I use Photoshop (.psp)
formatting. One further question: what should be in the text line (species
name, place of collection, date of collection, collector?).