Stability of names...

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 20 15:47:07 EDT 2000

We have the term *forma* to indicate a phenologically expressed genotype
that is masked at another time (spring form, wet form, etc.)

We have the term *varietas* to indicate a subordinate genotype present
within a population of a species.

Both these terms (and their formal nomenclature) are not recognized by
ICZN. I think that in future we shall need to re-legitemize them in order
to name transgenic organisms (eg. *Zea mays* var. BT#117). We shall also
need to reconcile and combine Zoological + Botanical + Bacterial
nomenclature. Perhaps the Amazon will freeze over before this happens.
.......Chris Durden