worthy conservation organizations

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Sun Apr 1 10:57:13 EDT 2001

>> Why isn't population growth the ultimate environmental problem.
>>
>> M. Gochfeld
>>
>So our other choice is to try to configure the burgeoning population,
>and its habits, in such a way as to make the planet user-friendly to
>wildlife as well.
>Anne Kilmer

I agree with both views. The ultimate problem (or at least a driving factor)
is population expansion in relation to its impact on the environment. Given
the
reality of a continued expansion and a concurrent drive for an
even greater consumption of resources (whether it be subsistence or
'development' the immediate imperative is finding (and applying!) ways to
make
these dual expansions occur in a way that they contribute to a zero (ideal)
deterioration of the environment. I tend to believe new developments
in techology (ironically) may be the necessary and only practical solution
to address the consumption demand, but appropriate landuse models will
need to be applied if we wish to have other species flourish - whether for
pragmatic or aesthetic reasons.

John Grehan