why caterpillars eat their eggshells

Cris Guppy or Aud Fischer cguppy at quesnelbc.com
Sun Apr 1 01:26:53 EST 2001

The first step in answering the questions might be to ask "Why do some
caterpillars each their eggshells, and some do not?" Caterpillars of some
butterflies definitely do not eat the eggshells (chorion), others eat them
sometimes or only partially, and some species always eat the entire
eggshell. I have no idea what the answer to the question is, other than
having previously read the assorted speculations that have been repeated in
various postings in this thread. And of course there may be more than one
answer, with different butterfly species eating (or not) the eggshells for
different reasons.