"Dali Greets the World"

rudy benavides rbenavid at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:57:02 EDT 2001

Dear List,

Many years ago there was an interview with Salvador Dali in which he
discussed his life and a few of his works.  About the meaning of his
paintings, I only remember that I understood very little of what he said.
The discussion was based around deeply rooted mental issues.  I came away
believing that the symbolism expressed by surrealists is  often just that,
an expression of deep seated psychological struggles.  The details, like the
larvae, pupae, etc., are just a convenient means for describing a particular
problem (possibly an excessive fear of death, etc.), which in my opinion,
one should not interpret too literally. But then, as with most art, we are
free to interpret as we wish.  Interestingly, he used insects in some of his
works.

Rudy Benavides
Maryland