common names

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sun Apr 22 12:14:36 EDT 2001

Stan's point is a clear exposition of the problem. Scientific names
serve two masters which accounts for the imperfections. When I did the
comparison of names from the 1890's to 1990's for scientific names, I
found that although the "name" (a combination of generic and species)
had usually changed, in fact, the species name was often unchanged. Thus
as species get assigned to different taxa (as they often do), the
combinations change.  In some areas of systematics, they report "comb
nov." to indicate that it is not a new species, merely a new
combination.

But, whatever the explanation, whether the names are really unstable or
as Stan suggests,  merely appear to be unstable they have communication
shortcomings just like as common names.

Mike Gochfeld