Phyllocnitis

Lawrence Turner Lawrence_Turner at msn.com
Wed Apr 25 00:41:06 EDT 2001

In Monterey County, California, I've raised two species of Phyllocnitis so far. One mines the leaves of Prunus ilicifolia, the other mines the leaves of Salix and Populus. The mines of both species are very similar, with the larvae eventually folding over a tiny piece of leaf, on the edge, to make a shelter in which to pupate. I may have a third species too. There are similar mines with shelters on fresh, young leaves of Quercus douglasii. I'll have to wait for an adult to emerge, though, to confirm whether or not it is a phyllocnitis.