multicaudata vs multicaudatus

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Wed Apr 25 09:58:00 EDT 2001

I agree that this is a small hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.
The size depends entirely on what importance one places on following the
code of zoological nomenclature.  I certainly agree with those people who do
not place any value on the gender congruence provisions of the code. Why ?
Well because society has changed dramatically over the years and most
biologists, myself included, do not much familiarity with Latin. So even
when we try to follow the rules it is still easy to produce an erroneous
result. For most people the code provisions on this point are pointless.  I
certainly support vigorous efforts to bring the code into the twenty first
century by replacing the current provisions with an "original useage"
clause.  In the interim, it is my choice to respect the rules as best I can,
with full recognition that errors will result due to not being a Latin
scholar. Readers who get paid to do taxonomy please take heed, show some
positive leadership, do your jobs and get cracking on getting that code
changed. Ignoring a code provision is, in my opinion, not the right thing to
do. My two cents worth on this topic :-)