Storage of Knowledge

Marian Fricano MFricano at scu.edu
Wed Aug 1 15:48:42 EDT 2001

I thought you might be interested in this take from a cataloging
Librarian:

"The real problem is not only that knowledge is being stored on media
that will eventually be obsolete, but that there is often only one copy
of the info because the @#&*^#$*&^ vendors want to completely control
and profit from the data themselves."

"So if anything happens to the greedy vendor, the info is history."

Marian

------------------- TEXT.htm follows -------------------
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 12pt Calisto MT; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV>I thought you might be interested in this take from a cataloging
Librarian:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"The real problem is not only that knowledge is being stored on media that
will eventually be obsolete, but that there is often only one copy of the info
because the @#&amp;*^#$*&amp;^ vendors want to completely control and profit
from the data themselves."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"So if anything happens to the greedy vendor, the info is history."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Marian</DIV></BODY></HTML>