pronunciations

Eric or Pat Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Wed Aug 1 16:27:17 EDT 2001

BTW,

to Ron Gatrell and the others following earlier discussions.  Catocala is
Greek in origin, both the suffix and the prefix, so a knowledge of Latin
with its penultimates and antipenultimates, is of little use.  Cat (o) (a)
means pretty and cala means inferior.  The inferior (hind) wings are pretty,
but in Greek, not Latin.  I suspect that when you met Ed Brower he was
speaking Greek and not Latin. Ed knew what he was doing.  He was a good
friend of mine and I miss him.

Cheers to all where it is stifling hot in Columbus, Ohio

Eric

news:4.3.2.7.1.20010801120114.00aa6720 at b.pop.kiva.net...