The promise of Monarchs and a curious five-year old

Suzy Gazlay smgazlay at fresno.edu
Mon Aug 6 14:11:15 EDT 2001

> Walmart, in the pet department, sells a clear plastic box with a
> colored vented top and small door that works well.  Sorry I can't
> recall the exact name, but the pet clerk should be familiar with it.

There are a couple of different brands, but they are often referred to as
"Critter Keepers." I've found them in most Walmart type stores, as well as
pet stores and bio supply places. Most of my invertebrate menagerie has
gradually moved to these lightweight, durable, inexpensive containers as I
phase out the heavier glass terrariums. The exception is critters small and
sly enough to slip out the vented top, although a piece of gauze or
screening placed over the top and held in place by the lid can take care of
that problem in most situations.

One caution: although the colorful lid snaps on, it often does not quite
snap all the way around. Even if it does, it is not necessarily reliable.
Neither is the plastic handle. Picking up the container by the handle may
result in a lid or handle in hand and the box and contents on the ground.
After a couple of such crashes, I now remove or tape down the handles of any
of these containers I use with children as a way of encouraging them to
carry the container supported from the bottom.

With this taken care of, these critter keepers are really great both for
kids and adults, and certainly much safer than jars or other glass
containers.

Suzy
(long-time elementary teacher)