The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Valerie Passoa vapassoa at copper.net
Thu Aug 9 07:50:12 EDT 2001

Hello Anne Kilmer and Others,
    Eric Carle is the author of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  I, too, was disheartened by his reference to the caterpillar spinning a cocoon and emerging as a butterfly.  I often speak to elementary school kids on insects and rearing moths and butterflies.
    After writing to Eric Carle, I received a response referencing Parnassians and their pupation method, i.e., forming a cocoon.  Carle had personal reasons in mind as well when he wrote the book.  I think it is unfortunate that the exception, not the rule was put forth.  Millions of kids have read this book and could have learned a bit about the life history of Lepidoptera while having fun.

Best regards, Valerie Passoa