Grammia (Apantesis) ID Problem: Central Oregon Coast, USA

Terry Morse tlmorse at onemain.com
Thu Aug 9 12:33:14 EDT 2001

Greetings.  I am trying to identify a Grammia (or Apantesis) tiger
moth I collected in Newport, on the central Oregon coast, USA.  I have
not found anything matching it well in the moth books I have (Holland,
Macromoths of Northwest Forests, Golden Guide to Butterflies and
Moths) or on the web.  My main moth resource on the web is Moth Images
on the Web (http://www.furman.edu/~snyder/leplist/).

The forewing markings are similar to those of  Grammia virgo, in
having a combination of thick and thin pale lines, with few or none of
the thick lines contacting the wing margin.  It is the hind wings that
don't resemble any species I have seen illustrated:  They are
predominantly black, with an irregular orange-red squiggle in the
middle of each hindwing.  None of the orange-red reaches the margin of
the hind wings; the margins are thickly bordered in black, except for
a slender pale fringe around the edges.

If I can borrow a digital camera, I will put a photo up on my
website.  In the meantime, does this description ring a bell with
anyone?

Thanks,
Terry Morse
935 SW 10th St. #6