Heliothis eggs and static electricity???

O.G. Marti, Jr. omarti at tifton.cpes.peachnet.edu
Wed Aug 15 15:10:29 EDT 2001

Our rearing department produces many thousands of Heliothis zea eggs
daily.  I need to use mine as single eggs in the field, but often find that they
are clumped into groups of 2 to 5 and are difficult to separate.  We run
them thru a strainer and discard the clumped eggs.  However, now I find
that the eggs cling to the top of the plastic petri dish that I use to take
them to the field and generally jump around around a lot, depending on
where my hand is placed on the dish, from static electricity. I lose a lot of
eggs this way. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to prevent the eggs
from clumping (which probably is not due to static electricity) and jumping
(which probably is due to static electricity)?

Cheers,
Dick Marti

Orville G. Marti, Jr., Microbiologist
USDA, ARS, IBPMRL