Butterflies Behaving Badly?

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Thu Aug 23 08:33:34 EDT 2001

Well said, Ron. My feelings exactly. I have been
collecting/watching/studying butterflies for 46 years, since I was 6, and I
have never seen a Monarch dive-bombing another butterfly in the wild, nor
have I ever seen a black bear masturbating in the woods. As far as
collections are concerned, I remember reading some years back that "the
hallmark of an amateur collection is one full of showy large beautiful
specimens without data." To me, the dullest Duskywing is as important as the
largest Giant Swallowtail.

The other thing about Butterfly Houses is this: When I visited the one in
Westport, MA last year, I was taken aback by the thousands of wings laying
all over the place on the ground. It seems that the aviary is a wonderful
breeding place for spiders and that the concentration of spiders in there is
extremely high in relation to the concentration butterflies, when compared
to that in nature. It seems to me that not only is the aviary a prison, but
it is also a torture chamber for the butterflies in regards to predation.

One last thing about my collection: I do not and never have and absolutely
will not purchase a specimen. My collection is the result of my own hard
work in the field. This is what the "watcher/anti-collector" must come to
understand about the collector who collects out of an interest in science.

Alex