what is it?

Frantic Frantic at Momma.com
Thu Aug 23 15:29:52 EDT 2001

Martin Honey <M.Honey at NHM.AC.UK> wrote in message
news:3.0.5.32.20010823091158.009536d0 at mailserver.nhm.ac.uk...
> Dear Frantic Momma
>
> You do not mention the colour of the larva but from the rest of the
> description it sounds like the caterpillar of the Elephant Hawkmoth (there
> are pictures at:
> <http://www.stroucov.freeserve.co.uk/hawkmoths.htm>). The eye-spots are
> actually on the thoracic segments which contract to make it look as if it
> has a large head. It occurs in two colour forms, one green and the other
> brown. It normally feeds on Rosebay Willow-herb but also has a liking for
> garden Fuchsia. If it was on the ground it is probably fully grown and
> about to pupate, which it does in a chamber underground. The adult moth is
> stunning, bright pink and greenish, rather like the colours of its two
> foodplants.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Martin
> Martin R. Honey CBiol MIBiol, Lead Curator (Moths)
> Department of Entomology, The Natural History Museum,
> Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD, Great Britain
> EMAIL:     M.Honey at nhm.ac.uk
> Museum web page <http://www.nhm.ac.uk>
>
> TELEPHONE: 020 7942 5604     International: 44 20 7942 5604
> FAX:       020 7942 5229     International: 44 20 7942 5229

Thanks for the website.very interesting. It sounds and looks as though it
was a large elephant hawk moth. I wish I had taken more of a note of it now
and at the least taken a photograph. Was this a rare sighting??? I am afraid
that I don't know very much about moths and caterpillars but it has
re-kindled a childhood interest. We might even buy an insect book now. Can
anyone recommend a good one?????