Swallowtails in New York c1950s

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 28 21:29:16 EDT 2001

I wrote a short note on the disappearance of swallowtails in northern
Westchester which coincided with the intensive suburban mosquito
spraying of the early 1950's.

I began collecting butterflies in summer, 1951 and did fairly well until
about 1954, after which there was virtually nothing to collect.  The
fogging occurred each week from mid-June (sometimes as early as Memorial
Day) until Labor Day.  Butterflies were conspicuous by absence, but
sweep samples of bushes and night-lighting (very amateurish by today's
standards) also came up empty.

The spraying was with DDT.  It was pretty effective against mosquitoes,
but deadly for LEPS.

By the time I graduated High School, insect study was pretty frustrating
so I shifted to fungi. They proved easy to collect, except when insects
ate them.

Mike Gochfeld