Butterflies (3 spp.) and the F&WS

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Thu Aug 30 15:04:24 EDT 2001

Thanks for sharing this news. Some observations and a question related to
the Sacramento Mountains checkerspot butterfly. For those who are wondering
what insect this name refers to; I think this is Euphydryas anicia
cloudcrofti. Further, the announcement refers to this butterfly as a
"species". I realize that in the twisted logic of legalese and bureaucratese
a subspecies is the same as a subspecies. But in the real world this is a
subspecies and not a species. I seem to recall some previous allegation of
over-collecting of this subspecies. My question is: can anyone share the
information from which this allegation was garnered ? I am curious if it has
any substance or if it is speculation, in whole or in part. Also I am
puzzled by the statement that vulnerability to local extinctions from
extreme weather events or catastrophic wildfire including fire suppression
activities is due to its limited range. It is my understanding that
virtually all organisms, even very widespread organisms, are subject to
local extinctions through a variety of natural causes and human activity.
But still, this butterfly does have a very small range and I do hope that
its habitat will be wisely managed to allow for its continued existence
until it has run its natural course in the evolutionary calendar. It is only
unfortunate that it seems necessary to consume so much time and money to
have a legal designation before some common-sense management practices can
be put into place. I would prefer to see scarce time and money going into
some practical actions to maintain the butterfly. And before anyone fires up
their flamethrower I will add that I admire the effort that goes into this
elaborate legalistic process by various people behind the scenes.  I know
that such undertakings run a tortuous path and the process is certainly not
intended to accomodate the impatient among us.