Queens in Washington, DC

Hilton, Rob rhilton at CSA.com
Fri Aug 31 12:30:49 EDT 2001

Alex,

Somehow I had it in my head that the Queen was fairly sedentary.  Their
close relative the Plain Tiger Danaus chrysippus (?) in the Old World is
irruptive/dispersive so I don't see why this species shouldn't be,
unless competition from the Monarch keeps them away from the north or
their northward movements are obscured by their larger more obvious
congener.....

but who knows?  I'll keep my eyes out this weekend, and even try to
visit the same golf course and the arboretum nearby.  I always look at
the large, conspicuous non-skipper/non-satyr butterflies where ever I
go.

RH

-----Original Message-----
From: Grkovich, Alex [mailto:agrkovich at tmpeng.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 8:17 AM
To: 'Ron Gatrelle'; Hilton, Rob; Leps-l
Subject: RE: Queens in Washington, DC

That the Queen is a butterfly subjected to migrating tendencies is well
noted. I saw numerous specimens migrating (I came to this conclusion
because
every specimen I saw, about a dozen, was observed flying steadily in a
west
or southwestery direction) in eastern Arizona last December. Two
specimens
have recently been found in southern Michigan.  So there is no reason to
doubt that the species could be found near Washington DC.

Polygonum