USDA Proposed List of Insects Requiring No Permit for Movement w/ in USA

Mike Quinn Mike.Quinn at tpwd.state.tx.us
Fri Dec 7 16:37:39 EST 2001

Proposed Rules
                                                Federal Register

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

Plant Pest Regulations; Update of Current Provisions

AGENCY: Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.

ACTION: Proposed rule.

<snip>

Sec. 330.202 Requirements for the interstate movement of regulated
organisms.

You may move an organism regulated under this subpart from one State into or
through another State if APHIS determines that the interstate movement can
be accomplished in a manner that will prevent the dissemination of plant
pests that are new to or not widely distributed in the United States. An
interstate movement may be accomplished through notification or under permit
or, under certain limited circumstances, without a permit:

(a) Through notification. <snip>

(b) Under permit. <snip>

(c) No permit necessary. (1) Certain indigenous plant pest species are
distributed throughout the continental United States and are known to
commonly accompany plants or plant products moved in interstate commerce.
Given the wide distribution of these organisms, we have determined that
their interstate movement within the continental United States is not likely
to result in additional plant pest risks. Therefore, the following organisms
may be moved within the continental United States without a permit if they
are moved from populations located within the continental United States:

Bacteria

<snip>

Insects 				(common names added)

Acanthoscelides obtectus 	(Bean bruchid)
Acheta domesticus 		(house cricket)
Actias luna 			(Luna Moth)
Antheraea polyphemus 		(Polyphemus moth)
Blatella germanica 		(German Cockroach)
Blatella vaga 			(Field cockroach)
Bombyx mori 			(Silk moth)
Brachystola magna 		(Plains Lubber Grasshopper)
Callosobruchus maculatus 	(cowpea weevil)
Citheronia regalis 		(Regal moth)
Eacles imperialis 		(Imperial moth)
Ephestia kuhniella  		(Mediterranean flour moth)
Gromphadorhina portentosa 	(Madagascan Giant Hissing Cockroach)
Hyalophora cecropia 		(Cecropia silkmoth)
Hyalophora euryalus  		(Ceanothus silkmoth)
Hyles lineata  			(White-lined sphinx)
Manduca sexta  			(Tobacco Hornworm)
Manduca quinquemaculata  	(Five-spotted hawkmoth)
Microcentrum retinerve  	(lesser angle-wing katydid)
Microcentrum rhombifolium  	(greater angle-wing katydid)
Periplaneta americana  		(American cockroach)
Sitophilus granarius  		(granary weevil)
Sitophilus oryzae  		(Rice weevil)
Sitotroga cerealella  		(grain moth)
Tenebrio molitor  		(Yellow Mealworm)
Tenebrio obscurus  		(dark mealworm)
Trialeurodes vaporariorum  	(Greenhouse-Whitefly)
Trilobium castaneum  		(Rust-red Flour Beetle)
Trilobium confusum  		(Trilobium confusum)
Vanessa atalanta  		(Red Admiral)
Vanessa cardui  			(Painted Lady)
Vanessa virginiensis  		(American Lady)
Zoophobas morio  			(Giant mealworm)

<snip>

Full Text - *Very Long*

http://frwebgate2.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=7550803626+0
+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

[Federal Register: October 9, 2001 (Volume 66, Number 195)]
[Proposed Rules]
[Page 51340-51358]
>From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr09oc01-21]

Proposed Rules
                                                Federal Register

This section of the FEDERAL REGISTER contains notices to the public of
the proposed issuance of rules and regulations. The purpose of these
notices is to give interested persons an opportunity to participate in
the rule making prior to the adoption of the final rules.

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

7 CFR Part 330

[Docket No. 95-095-2]
RIN 0579-AA80

Plant Pest Regulations; Update of Current Provisions

AGENCY: Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.

ACTION: Proposed rule.

SUMMARY: We are proposing to revise our regulations regarding the
movement of plant pests by adding risk-based criteria for determining
the plant pest status of organisms, establishing a notification process
that could be used as an alternative to the current permitting system,
providing for the environmental release of organisms for the biological
control of weeds, and updating the text of the subpart. These proposed
changes would clarify the factors that would be considered when
assessing the plant pest risks associated with certain organisms,
facilitate the importation and interstate movement of regulated
organisms, and address gaps in the current regulations.

DATES: We invite you to comment on this docket. We will consider all
comments that we receive by December 10, 2001.

ADDRESSES: Please send your comment and three copies to: Docket No. 95-
095-2, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Suite 3C03,
4700 River Road Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238.
    Please state that your comment refers to Docket No. 95-095-2.
    You may read any comments that we receive on this docket in our
reading room. The reading room is located in room 1141 of the USDA
South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW., Washington,
DC. Normal reading room hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through
Friday, except holidays. To be sure someone is there to help you,
please call (202) 690-2817 before coming.
    APHIS documents published in the Federal Register, and related
information, including the names of organizations and individuals who
have commented on APHIS rules, are available on the Internet at http://
www.aphis.usda.gov/ppd/rad/webrepor.html.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Dr. Robert Flanders, Risk Assessment
Branch Chief, or Ms. Deborah Knott, Permits Branch Chief, PPQ, APHIS,
4700 River Road Unit 133, Riverdale, MD 20737-1236; phone 301-734-5930
(Dr. Flanders) or 301-734-5055 (Ms. Knott).