Extrapolation

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Tue Dec 11 16:11:21 EST 2001

James,

I read the biodiversity chapter in the bookstore and glanced at the rest of the
book. The biodiversity effort is superficial and it avoids the recent professional
literature.

All predictions are extrapolations. But one should extrapolate from the best
information. Lomborg doesn't. His work on biodiversity is propaganda not science.
Please read it for yourself. Then read the May and Lawton 1995 volume. Then decide
which is science.

It is standard to have papers reviewed by experts in the field, as I assume you
know. My first paper on extinction was in fact handled by Robert May. It would not
have been hard for a book published by Cambridge University Press to get checked
out by an Oxford professor. If anyone thought it a scientific effort.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu