HO HO WHAT?

Trevor Boyd boyd at glade12.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 17:42:37 EST 2001

Here in Ireland we seem to get the odd Monarch in October following a
hurricane in the SE United States or Carribean (there were some this year)
so we think they were diverted from their normal southwards migration by the
hurricane and swept across the Atlantic, perhaps in as little as three days.
It raises a few questions: If they came that fast, they would have to be
borne along by the jet stream, but the temperature up there at 35,000 feet
could be minus 50 degrees (farenheit or celsius - it doesn't matter).  Can
they stand that?  Perhaps they dont come that way at all - I remember
hearing a story about a potato boat in Liverpool which came from the US and
when they opened the hatches out flew a swarm of Monarchs.  Or do they come
from the Canaries or Madeira - much closer to the British Isles, but why
would they want to come here in the fall when they should be going in the
opposite direction and Asclepias do not grow here anyway?  It's all
speculation and we really know nothing about where they come from and how.

The point I want to make is if we want to find out more about how Monarchs
get here, we don't need people releasing them in arbitrary places to muddy
the waters.  This applies to other species too.  I agree with Anne.

Trevor Boyd
Butterfly Conservation Northern Ireland