Mystery larvae

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Wed Dec 26 10:56:53 EST 2001

Hello Harriet,
Something bright orange with thin black tufts, feeding on an
apocynaceous plant in the Tampa area leads me to the conclusion that
you likely have the Oleander caterpillar.  Is this a landscape plant
in your yard?  Go to this site:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/orn/Ole_cpillar.htm
to see if it is the right beast.  The adult is a real beauty.

Rich

>Can anyone tell me what butterfly or other insect uses Pentalinon
>lutea as a host plant?  The caterpillars are orange with tufts of
>straight stiff hairs.  The Pentalinon is growing somewhat north of its
>natural range, in Tampa, FL.
>
>Thanks,
>Harriett

Richard A. Worth