more comments on subspecies and protection

HpAzures at aol.com HpAzures at aol.com
Fri Feb 2 17:15:53 EST 2001

Lep-listers:

<<
However, in many cases, subspecific rank, based on even the most minimal
traits, may be the only means by which small populations of butterflies
receive any recognition for protection.

James Kruse stated:

<<
This is not true. The law requires only that a population may be distinct
somehow, and does not even have to be named. The rank of subspecies is
unnecessary for protection.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have not heard of this, at least at the
Federal level.  Maybe you can cite an example.  Are there any examples on the
list of Federally Endangered Species?  Certainly states can protect their
portion of the range of a species.  Is this what you are referring to?

As far as I know, the eastern U.S. population of Speyeria idalia exists in
only a very few remnant colonies.  U.S. Fish & Wildlife has not listed it
yet, as far as I know, because the species is not yet endangered in the
plains, where it can be rather common in some places.  For the eastern
population to be protected, it needs to be differentiated from the plains
populations by name.

Anybody...help us out here.

Harry Pavulaan
Herndon, VA.