on wing patterns

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Mon Feb 5 22:29:06 EST 2001

Another species with considerable adult wing color variation is Cholsyne
lacinia.  Four variations have been named, some of which have been
elevated to questionable subspecific status by some taxonomists. They
are adjutrix, crocale, rufescens, and nigrescens.  In 1969 I published
the first valid genetic mechanism of the larval polymorphism.  During my
work I made many matings, each producing from 100 to over 800 adults.  I
would consistently get what appeared to be all four forms with
gradations in between in all the matings I made.  This species is highly
variable, not only in adult wing coloration, but also in the pupal stage
(not to mention the larval polymorphism and the variations of each of
the larval types).

Stan