Yukon collecting license

Todd Redhead toddredhead at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 11 11:08:16 EST 2001

Hi Ron,

I'm not sure that your 'pro' is any more that a detailed description of your
con #2.  You seem to be asking your government to take even greater control
of your 'parks' areas by allowing them to licience you to collect in those
parks.

I believe that govenment regulation leads to government restriction.  In my
opinion (as far as insect collecting goes) there is little need for
restriction other than in the case of identified threatened species.  (How
we make the distiction of a 'threatened species' is another discussion.)
Will licencing lead to special collecting 'seasons'?  Or maybe to some sort
of fee charged to collect insects (just to support the licencing, of
course)?  What's next?

As an aside - I've had some fun in trying the US export laws when it comes
to collecting in the US and bringing insects back into Canada.  First of
all, the customs officials (on the US side) for the most part seem to have
no interrest in exporting insects, in fact, few have ever seem to have seen
the US government forms that we have to submit.  However, the US Fish and
Wildlife people are a lot more difficult.  Six months after my last
collecting trip (July 1st weekend) I recieved notice in the mail that the US
F&W would like to speak to me about the insects that I took out of the US.
They wanted to know the purpose of my collecting, the reason for going to
the particular area that I did, the reason for the large number of insects
(about 800 individuals), what I planned to do with those insects, etc.  In
some ways I felt that I had done something that was just barely inside the
law.  One step further somehow and I would have been breaking the law.

Anyway, these are my opinions based on my experience.  I am just a beginner
to entomology and collecting; maybe my feelings were just because I was not
used to dealing with this type of thing.

Todd