Field data (Sightings)

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 23 01:14:25 EST 2001

Well said Ron. I don't keep score either. I have not even reconstructed a
"life-list". I agree that journalling in the field detracts from attention
so I chatter into a voice-activated mini-cassette recorder at my belt. This
really helps with photographs of individuals I then take as vouchers. Most
day-site-lists with sight records, I gather during off seasons (winter, or
summer drought). I do however give individual number to each specimen taken
to irrevocably tie it to its data. My oldest surviving specimen I collected
in 1950. My day-site-lists go back to 1953. The locality-event list is
computer searchable, but not all the records are entered yet but are
available longhand in notebooks.
    I too am not very social when at work in the field. It does demand
undivided attention. I find results are significantly better if I skip
lunch and collect hungry. Social listing I do in the off seasons only, for
educational purposes.
............Chris Durden