Field data (Sightings)

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Feb 23 01:59:08 EST 2001

I keep thinking about taking my little voice activated recorder with me in
the field. I've had it for a few years but never seem to get it on my leps
"equipment" list. I had just chalked that up to being of the grandpa
generation until Chris posted the following message about his use of one. I
used a typewriter up till 98 which is when I broke down (or caved in) and
got a computer. Not on line till 2000.

With a voice recorder, I will have to back up some to the pro counters. One
could hang the box around one's neck (or in hand) and simply call out a
name every time something is seen and then just count how many times a name
was said when back to base. Of course, it might look and sound a little odd
to a passer by seeing someone staring off into the bushes and saying,
aphrodite, aphrodite, aphrodite, nymph...

I too still have some of my early Iowa stuff in 50's (Scott, Hardin, Story
counties). The best one is the halesus from Buffalo, Scott Co.

Ron