Photos of urban monarch overwintering sites in California

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Tue Jan 9 09:37:18 EST 2001

> All three of these golf course overwintering sites were created
> inadvertently during the period between 1930-1975 when exotic
> Australian eucalyptus trees were planted during golf course
> construction. They are a fine example of how the tree planting
> that routinely accompany's real estate development, often
> inadvertently creates new monarch habitats (although sometimes also
> destroys existing habitats). Thus, it seems inconceivable that
> California monarchs could ever "run out" of suitable overwintering
> habitats since mankind will always be building golf courses, city
> parks, cemeteries and similar green belts within our largest urban
> centers.

Two things:

1.  To give Paul credit, he does mention destruction of habitat for
other species in creating golf courses, etc.  Even though it *might*
provide habitat for Monarchs, I don't think we want to run around
condoning destruction of natural habitat on the off chance that it
provides Monarch overwintering grounds.

2.  Just because *past* development practices have led to some
apparent appropriate Monarch habitat does *not* mean
development practices are the same today, or will remain the same
in the future.  You *cannot* assume that golf courses built today
will actually provide appropriate Monarch habitat.

        james

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"