Photos of urban monarch overwintering sites in California

Barbara Page pageclan at email.msn.com
Wed Jan 10 07:44:11 EST 2001

I've seen, heard and Paul's extremely professional profession that he has
given in front of many leading researchers and he never has condoned the
destruction of habitat.  He has simply documented the fact that Monarchs in
California seem to do 'fine' when they cluster directly over a six lane
highway (now that is a photo I wish all could see) or over someone's
'ranchero'.   They even cluster in some very arid locations.

Unless the state of California begins limiting the number and types of trees
that can be planted on private property (I'm dense sometimes, maybe this is
already the case!) the Monarchs won't run out of overwintering sites.  Paul
is more of a helpful activist in this arena than most folks believe.  He
gets many calls and advises interested corporations and other folks with
private property on what types of trees to plant if they are interested in
creating or maintaining enviroments to which Monarchs are typically
attracted.  A pro-active approach with interested companies and individuals
in creating attractive environments seems to be a good approach.

Barbara Page
professional lepidopterist wannabe
mostly leps lurker
accepting donations for plane tickets to Morelia.....
frumpy housewife in Pittsburgh