Photos of urban monarch overwintering sites in California

Barbara Page pageclan at email.msn.com
Fri Jan 12 09:13:17 EST 2001

Dear Ann,

I read all of your posts - I like them.  I didn't realize that this
discussion would draw so much attention.  I again confess my myopic view of
leps as I am focused on the Monarch at this time yet I am learning more all
the time.

Do you think that it has been established that the Monarch is an 'indicator'
species?  How does an indicator species get designated as such?

I am woefully ignorant of other species of leps and assume some of those
lesser known species have been designated as indicator species.

You also posted:

> The real problem is overpopulation ... until a plague or war or meteor
> solves it. Or until it turns out that we have achieved critical mass and
> are received into our place among the gods.
> so ... learning to negotiate, to consider other people's views ... not a
> bad way to amuse oneself on a winter's day.

I propose that a war/meteor catastrophe described above would have a
negative effect on all leps and alter the numbers of my favorite indicator
species - human beings.

Barbara Page
enjoying the discussions

Subject: Re: Photos of urban monarch overwintering sites in California