help w/ gypsy moths in BC, Canada.

Rob & Ryan lepidopterists at home.com
Sat Jan 13 01:27:50 EST 2001

I am in my second year of Fish, Wildlife and Recreation at BCIT.  I have
some projects coming up (i.e. brochures, displays, public awareness) and
would like to do a few of them on the gypsy threat moth in BC.  Personally
Im against spraying and feel that gypsy moths are of no threat to us. They
say gypsy moths will destroy our forestry industry..... last time I looked
BC didn't have a deciduous forestry industry. ect. ect. ect.  I have a
contact at school, a forestry instructor, but he is for spraying.  In fact
in the past he has been in charge of aerial spraying for gypsy moths.  If
you have any info that may be of use to me... or references or contacts that
would be great.  I believe they are spraying BTK and I'm still not sure what
they are concerned about.. the European gypsy moth Porthetria dispar or the
Asian gypsy moth  Lymantria dispar. I want to look at the actual supposed
threat, biology, introduction, number of recorded specimens, other effects
of spraying i.e. other insects ect. and alternatives....

If you can help at all that would be great. (Emails preferred)
Thanks

Ryan Vandermoor
Coquitlam, BC
Canada
rvandermoor at home.com

P.S. I know there is a plethora of info on the net, but I want info from
collectors.. I  wish to avoid relying only on info   provided by the people
doing the spraying.