Migration strategies

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sat Jan 13 17:39:12 EST 2001

I sent a personal follow-up to Rudy which I will not repeat here. The
bottom line is in the definition of terms in the minds of differing
disciplines. Naturalists may at times use the same terms but with very
different mental images or doctrines. (Butterfly variety vs. plant
variety.)

Lepidopteran dispersal is well know. But since the great migration of
birders into the garden over the last 20 years "butterfly migration" has
become an over used term in my book. Classic bird, mammal, and fish
migrations are well known and conger up specific imagery in the minds of
the general populous. So when "migration" is applied to insect dispersal
the populous sees the same imagery. The problem is not the term, it is the
definition in ones mind. Without migration the bird, mammal, or fish will
go extinct. Thus, not only must the destinations be preserved but also the
route.

The third or fourth next step is to say that possible human induced
environmental alterations may be interfering with cardui migration and that
therefore V. cardui is in-danger of becoming endangered.  Is it a rain
forest or a jungle? Is it a baby in a humans womb or fetal tissue? Is it
the War Department or Dept of Defense? Is it migration or dispersal? All
the above phrases or word pairs are technically the same. But their effect
on humans and the reactions they stimulate or pacify are very different.
Which is exactly why the people who are running the show choose their words
and terms with great purpose.

Of course not much of the above has anything to do with Rudy or the info he
is seeking. The topic just pushed one of my buttons so I editorialized.