Migration strategies

Jaakko Kullberg jaakko.kullberg at helsinki.fi
Sun Jan 14 13:40:59 EST 2001

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C07E6A.4D8B93C0

    rudy benavides wrote in message ...
    Dear List Members,=20
    I would appreciate any information you could give me concerning the =
migration strategies of any of the following butterflies:  Red Admiral =
(Vanessa atalanta), Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui), Common Buckeye =
(Junonia coenia), Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis), Eastern =
Comma (Polygonia comma), and any others excluding the Monoarch (Danaus =
plexippus).  I'm interested in things like where they overwinter, =
overwintering diapause stage, geographical range (countries), etc.  =
Thanks in advance.
   =20
    In North Europe: Vanessa atalanta migrates every spring from South =
Europe to Finland and then the autumn generation returns to south. I =
have myself seen hundreds of specimens flying back to south in =
archipelago of SW Finland and in open see. The specimens disappear from =
the continent during September - beginning of October. Last autumn I saw =
specimens flying in the 10. November, which is probably later than ever =
before - I think that these were already doomed to stay..=20
    Similarly cardui returns, but it is more difficult detect.=20
   =20
    Jaska=20
   =20
   =20
   =20

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C07E6A.4D8B93C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#b8b8b8>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV>rudy benavides<RBENAVID at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in=20
    message<F198NCCYTJR8CU6XFPT00000DD5 at HOTMAIL.COM> ...</DIV>
    <DIV>
    <DIV>Dear List Members, </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>I would appreciate any information you could give me =
concerning=20
    the migration strategies of any of the following butterflies:&nbsp; =
Red=20
    Admiral (<EM>Vanessa atalanta</EM>), Painted Lady (<EM>Vanessa =
cardui</EM>),=20
    Common Buckeye (<EM>Junonia coenia</EM>), Question Mark =
(<EM>Polygonia=20
    interrogationis</EM>), Eastern Comma (<EM>Polygonia comma), </EM>and =
any=20
    others excluding the Monoarch (<EM>Danaus plexippus</EM>).&nbsp; I'm =

    interested in things like where they overwinter, overwintering =
diapause=20
    stage, geographical range (countries), etc.&nbsp; Thanks in =
advance.</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>In North Europe: Vanessa atalanta migrates every spring from =
South=20
    Europe to Finland and then the autumn generation returns to south. I =
have=20
    myself seen hundreds of specimens flying back to south in =
archipelago of SW=20
    Finland and in open see. The specimens disappear from the continent =
during=20
    September - beginning of October. Last autumn I saw specimens flying =
in the=20
    10. November, which is probably later than ever before - I think =
that these=20
    were already doomed to stay.. </DIV>
    <DIV>Similarly cardui returns, but it is more difficult =
detect.&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Jaska&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>S</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C07E6A.4D8B93C0--