Extinction vs accuracy

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Jan 19 01:38:35 EST 2001

That subject line was originally introduced by me. So I will now go full
circle back to my original point. There is no problem with the use
of the term extinction (on all levels) amongst ecological peers - for
in ecoese all understand. Likewise, in Joe citizen's peer group there is no
problem with his singular use of extinction meaning gone everywhere
forever.

The great hurdle for any translator is not to  simply swap out
*words*, it is in conveying the meaning of what the speaker was trying to
get across the linguistic abiss to the hearer. There are two words in the
above subject line. Extinction and accuracy. What is accurate to one is not
accurate to another. As I said earlier, sometimes we need to think (and
speak) inside the other guy's box. The accuracy I'm talking about is the
conveyance of one's understanding (not word) to the equivalent
understanding
of the other guy. The more learned person can speak in the other guys
language. The stubborn person insisted on speaking his own and demanding
that all others *understand.*  (A vice especially endemic to Americans.)

In trying to help the bug or save the habitat, the *professional* needs to
make sure he speaks in terms the lay person understands. My whole point is
that if _the other guy_ goes along with something (not based on what he was
technically told, but on what he understood) and later finds out the
situation or scenario was not as he thought - it will create an
environmental backlash. Further, this is exasperated by the natural
tendency of all who are on a crusade to overstate the problem and their
solution.

There is an environmental backlash today. In some, more than small part, I
really believe it is due to the average person feeling  like they have been
lied to or manipulated over the years by environmentalists about taxa being
extinct or nearly so when _in their understanding of terms_ they were in
fact not. Add to this things like Green Peace people trespassing over
walls, and it all becomes counter productive. The sides only become only
more entrenched and uncommunicative.

Who will speak for the butterflies? Well, who ever it is they need to do so
in words and terms that accurately translate the concerns to the average
guy. Otherwise all one is doing is preaching to the choir - and making few
converts.

RG