the extremists/ be careful

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Tue Jan 23 16:03:01 EST 2001

Quite correct. A mix of deliberate and accidental acts was dealt with in
accordance to the laws of the land. One thing to consider is the possibility
that some of the "side issues" may be germane after all.  As usual it
depends on the perspective/context from which one decides if something is a
side issue or not.  Although I have not done an analysis and have not
thought about this topic for some years; I concede that they could very well
all be side issues from a purely legal perspective, albeit that is for the
judge hearing the case to decide.  Happily the world is not confined to the
numerous legal perspectives and rules of law that exist around the globe..
A side issue in the USA legal system may be a legitimate central issue under
another legal system.  Going beyond the legal perspective of 'sidedness'
there are other perspectives related to the role of government, the public
interest, motivations of "the good guys" in the equation and probably many
others.  Just another view on this unfortunate set of circumstances that
many people have learned from. For things that were not deliberate and which
are widely recognized as being poorly known at the time; I still think that
the US fish and wildlife service enforcers would have served the public
interest far better through an education initiative rather than choseing to
use a sting operation (=deliberate deceit, does the end really justify the
means?) . However that was their call and I do not vote in the USA so my
opinion matters not :-) - my hindsight is only 19/19 :-)