UV light traps - how far above the ground?

Charles Bird cbird at heartland.ab.ca
Mon Jan 29 09:56:09 EST 2001

Hi,

Lets get back to leps. I would like to start a new thread. With January
nearly over and the collecting season fast approaching, I would appreciate
it if those of you with experience in using UV light traps would share your
ideas about how far off the ground they should be positioned. I have the
impression that getting them off the ground, either on a stand or hanging
from a tree branch or other support, is better and I would like to
experiment with some new ideas. I realize that wind velocity generally
increases as you get above from the ground. This being the case, what are
your ideas about anchoring the trap? Do you have any recommendations about
the construction of stands (steel or wood, leg length, etc)?

Charley
Dr. Charles Bird, Box 22, Erskine, Alberta, Canada, T0C 1G0