UV light traps - how far above the ground?

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 09:31:00 EST 2001

In article <b69bb9f2090210045695@[138.23.134.119]>,
  dyanega at pop.ucr.edu wrote:
> Chris Raper wrote:
>
> >I think the distance increases quite considerably when you are using
> >extremely powerful lights. In French Guyana (OK, yes - I've been
there
> >too, but at a different time to Orville) we used two 150W bulbs at
> >head level with a ~400W bulb at the top of a tall poll. The theory
> >goes that the top light brings them close and the lower lights &
sheet
> >draw them down to a workable height. This lighting rig illuminates a
> >very wide area and we could see moths moving in following a straight
> >line from at least 40m.
>
> Based on very extensive mark/recapture studies of Chrysina scarabs
done by
> Ron Cave and Dave Hawks in Honduras, a 175-watt MV light attracts
insects
> within a radius of about 200m.
>
> Peace,
>
> Doug Yanega

As it happens I was having a conversation with a very experienced moth
person here in the UK recently. You will get different results
depending on where you place the trap. He once trapped on the top of a
tall building and found a bias to noctuids over geometrids.

I was talking to him about it because I am about  to start trapping
myself from a balcony several floors up.
I am very encouraged by what Doug Yanega says because I am in an
appartment with some reasonalbly good habitats within that sort of
distance including some bits of very degraded sand dune.

Of course there are the street lights to contend with.

Now French Guyana that must have been something.

I must do that myself someday!

There was a good piece in a recent Amateur Enromologists's Society
newsletter about the "Waring Tropical" moth trap.
It sounds fascinating.

I stayed in a place in Ecuador once that had lights on all night outside
the huts we slept in. The things that we around in the morning were
a real wonder to behold. Perhaps you know the spot Chris. :-)
You will know who was guiding me.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/