USGS data - Shuey-etc.

Dameron, Wanda be496 at lafn.org
Wed Jan 31 00:50:11 EST 2001

> Dear Fred,
>     This may or may not be a can of opened worms. No, it is absolutely a can of huge worms. So here goes. The following is not my idea - it is what  I have been told by some who do both birds and butterflies. The Lepidopterists' Society is to NABA, USGS etc. as the Ornithological Union
> is to the Audubon Society.

Dear Ron,

        The basic premise you were told is a complete fallacy.   It could not
be further from the truth!  LepSoc would not even take the
responsibility to come up with a list of BFs -- in any way, shape or
form....   That is why Opler, Robbins and others were trying to set up
something similar to the AOU, but got shot down....

                                Cheers, Wanda

>     Therefore the Miller & Brown list (1981), as updated by Ferris (1989),
> is The List. (Can you hear the frass hitting the fan?)  This is why The
> List was adopted almost as is by Hodges in MONA (1983).
>     Next.  Can anyone imagine the Audubon Society not approving of the
> Ornithological Union's taxonomy and going off to reinvent the wheel? The
> truth is that some do not like the Ferris update in particular and have
> gone off on their own. Worms, worms, worms.
>     There seems to have been some in-fighting over names in the Lep Soc
> leadership the last several years -  at least factionalism. (I have been
> out of that loop for a long time. My term on the Executive Council was in
> the mid 70's.)
>     Insect taxonomy is more complex than bird or mammal taxonomy, so even
> without factionalism universal acceptance and stability will probably never
> be acheived. Thus, people like myself keep pointing to the International
> Code of Zoological Nomenclature and its rules as The Authority.
>     The way we at The International Lepidoptera Survey plan to handle this
> is by introducing the TC-ISBN (Taxonomically Correct - Index of Scientific
> Butterfly Names). This list is under the auspices of Harry Pavulaan (see
> USGS list), so I leave any more info on that to him.
>
> RG

Wanda Dameron
Flutterby Press
ATL, LepSoc, LA-NABA, Lorquin, Xerces
23424 Jonathan St., Los Angeles, Ca. 91304
818-340-0365     be496 at lafn.org