Western Oregon Field Report

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Tue Jul 10 12:46:56 EDT 2001

Hi all,
With the Natl. Lep Soc Meeting just around the corner, I thought I
would post a list of what I saw/collected last Saturday, 7 July, in
the Coast Range.  This is similar habitat and hosts pretty much the
same species as McDonald State Forest near Corvallis.  This site is
about 30 mi N of McD. Forest.  Names are based on a current list of
subspecies worked up by Andy Warren (Oct. 2000) at OSU to update
Dornfeld's book.

Epargyreus clarus californicus
Euphyes vestris vestris

Parnassius clodius clodius - many
Papilio rutulus rutulus - many
Papilio eurymedon - many

Pieris marginalis (summer, little or no veining)- fresh

Celastrina ladon echo - fresh, summer
Plebejus (Icaricia?) acmon acmon

Speyeria cybele pugetensis - fresh
Speyeria hydaspe rhodope - fresh
Phyciodes mylitta mylitta
Euphydryas colon colon - worn
Vanessa cardui - fresh, next generation after "the wave"
Polygonia sp. (dark, prob. gracilis or oreas)
Limenitis lorquini burrisoni

Coenonympha tullia eunomia
Cercyonis pegala ariane--------these two satyrids are actually more
common in the Willamette valley

If I'm not mistaken, I saw a notice for a NABA natl. meeting in Bend
for the weekend just before the Lep Soc Meeting.  Is this correct?
If so, I find their location and timing most intriguing.

Net swingers, camera shooters, binoc lookers, butterfly huggers, etc...
let's put flowers in each others hair, hold hands in a big circle and
sing kumbaya...
kidding

Peace,  Rich

Richard A. Worth