ID request

Roger C. KENDRICK hkmoths at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 22:02:02 EDT 2001

I agree with Richard - O.antica (Lymantriidae). the English vernacular =
Vapourer Moth (so much for one vernacular name!!!!!  :-)  )  Guys (& Girls) -
when will the time come that you realise 99% (possibly more) of the world's
species will never be generally regarded as charismatic mega (meso / micro!!)
fauna and are thus very unlikely to be given a vernacular name. For the few who
need to refer to organisms in a systematic manner, please let us use the
scientific nomenclature system, with all its shortcomings, as the primary means
of communicating what we're talking about. If you want to learn the scientific
names of species, then please make the effort to understand that it's flawed,
but that there are rules (see IZNC). That butterflies have vernacular names
merely illustrates that they are creatures that are looked at by people in
general, something which should be regarded as a blessing.

cheers for the line-time,

Roger.

 --- Richard Worth <rworth at oda.state.or.us> wrote: > Looks a lot like Orgyia
antiqua, the Rusty Tussock Moth, here in the
> US which I thought was an introduced sp. from Europe.  Anyone else?
> Rich
>
> >Unusual caterpillar found in the Midlands (England).  Apparently it happily
> >eats strawberries!?
> >
> >Length is about 2 cm (3 cm with hairs).
> >
> >http://www.pimmsta.freeserve.co.uk/caterpillar.jpg
> >

> >Many thanks.

> >    http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl
> >

> Richard A. Worth
> Oregon Department of Agriculture
> Plant Division
> rworth at oda.state.or.us
> (503) 986-6461

=====
Roger C. KENDRICK
Ph.D. candidate, Dept. of Ecology & Biodiversity, The University of Hong Kong
Senior Conservation Officer, Fauna Conservation, Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden, H.K.
http://kfbg.org.hk/
http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm
http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/IGMHKinfo.htm
moths at kfbg.org.hk, hkmoths at yahoo.co.uk or kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk