Mason County, IL 7/12/01

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Fri Jul 13 00:24:57 EDT 2001

More lepping in Lincoln's state.  While hiking in Sand Ridge National Forest
today I stumbled upon a nice population of Speyeria idalia.  Does it get any
better than this?  A mass emergence of immaculate females - looking for any
male that was up to the task.  All the males were old, tired, and ragged.  I
ran across one particularly gorgeous female idalia nectaring on milkweed
with her fat hiney (spelling? ) sticking out for all to see.  The only
problem was that the only male in sight was a Speyeria cybele (Great
Spangled Fritillary).  You thought that these Spangled Frits were large -
they are dwarfed when approached by the large female idalia.  This poor
little guy didn't want to play, but lady Idalia wouldn't take no for an
answer.  Hey - he'll do.

As I walked through the grasses, I would spook one after another out from
the deepest depths of the grass.  Up they float, awkwardly at first - and
then off to find another resting place.  If I never see another butterfly, I
will remain fulfilled.

I wasn't expecting the Regal.  I was hoping to see some hairstreaks - but
apparently I'm too late for these.  The only hairstreaks out today were
Satyrium titus and a single ragged specimen of Satyrium calanus.  All the
Coral Hairstreaks were pretty beat up as well.  It looks as though they must
have peaked a few weeks ago here.

Lots and lots of Cabbage Whites out here.  I don't think I've seen them so
common anywhere.  Plenty of Eurema lisa, too.  Swallowtails were common -
including a single Papilio cresphontes (Giant Swallowtail) nectaring on
milkweed.

Not much else to report - except that it's amazing how much habitat is
consumed by crops.  If we all love leps so much, we should probably stop
eating.

my list:

Papilio glaucus (Tiger Swallowtail)
Papilio troilus (Spicebush Swallowtail)
Papilio cresphontes (Giant Swallowtail)
Papilio polyxenes (Black Swallowtail)
Battus philenor (Pipevine Swallowtail)

Pontius protodice (Checkered White)
(a single speciment amongst the horde)
Pieris rapae (Cabbage White)
Colias philodice (Clouded Sulphur)
Colias eurytheme (Orange Sulphur)
Eurema lisa (Little Sulphur)

Lycaena phlaeas (American Copper)
(no other coppers };>(

Satyrium titus (Coral Hairstreak)
Satyrium calanus (Banded Hairstreak)
Celastrina neglecta (Summer Azure)
Everes comyntas (Eastern Tailed Blue)

Euptoieta claudia (Variegated Fritillary)
Speyeria cybele (Great Spangled Fritillary)
Speyeria idalia (Regal Fritillary)
Phyciodes tharos (Pearl Crescentspot)
Polygonia interragationis (Question Mark)
Polygonia comma (Comma)
Nymphalis antiopa (Mourning Cloak)
Vanessa virginiensis (American Lady)
Vanessa cardui (Painted Lady)
Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral)
(still signs of mass emergence)
Junonia coenia (Buckeye)
Limenitis arthemis (Red Spotted Purple)
Limenitis archippus (Viceroy)

Megisto cymela (Little Wood Satyr)
Cercyonis pegala (Common Wood Nymph)

Danaus plexippus (Monarch)
(doing very well here)

Epargyreus clarus (Silver Spotted Skipper)
(common at milkweed)
Ancyloxypha numitor (Least Skipper)
Polites peckius (Peck's Skipper)

Mark Walker