drying specimens in humid conditions

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Jul 19 18:06:18 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liz Day" <beebuzz at kiva.net>
Subject: Re: drying specimens in humid conditions

> Why freeze first, why not just cut open?
>
> Liz

All my Megs have come from reared material. This is how I put them to sleep
after they emerge. The freezing also makes all the fat stick together and
it comes out real easy. Which in turn prevents heat from my fingers from
smearing grease all over it and me. :-) Of course, freezing also separates
the body water from the body oils - which will increase greasing of
specimens too. This is the lesser of several evils. .
RG