preserving dna

Gary Anweiler Edmonton Alberta Canada gganweiler at sprint.ca
Fri Jul 20 20:05:14 EDT 2001

I am a novice with the DNA work, but have been informed that relaxing
specimens is death to DNA, but that preservation in100% EtOH works well.

Something that has not been mentioned is that there are two kinds of DNA
being worked with these days - mitochondrial for work at the specific and
population level, and nuclear for higher level phylogentic work. It appears
nuclear DNA is not as stable at mitochondrial, and needs to be treated with
more care than the mitochondrial stuff.  For example, I don't think dried
material is of much use for nuclear DNA work.

Can anyone confirm, correct  or expand on this  ????

Gary

news:5.0.2.1.2.20010720095027.00b48cf8 at mail.it.su.se...