Red Admiral and kin

Anne Kilmer viceroy at anu.ie
Sun Jul 22 02:11:28 EDT 2001

I am happy to report that, as I took my new camera up the back on
Thursday, July 19, I was greeted by a Red Admiral, Vanessa atalanta,
somewhat weatherbeaten, but proudly defending a fine patch of nettles by
the old compost heap. He flew up and perched upon my flowering bosom,
where I could have photographed him, were I quicker-witted, for the
Nikon Coolpix 995 has a lens section that will spin to allow
self-portraiture, even inverting your picture so that you are as upright
as usual. The viewing screen stays where you can see it, of course.
Then he flew back to defend his turf ... in vain, for it had obviously
been visited, and thoroughly, on or around June 14 and after, by a
Peacock, Inachis io. Masses of larvae, the youngest in the second
instar; the eldest in the fourth instar and already moving off on their
own. All in brown gum boots and starry black mackintoshes. The sight of
fifty or so larvae piled on one hairy old nettle leaf is scary.
There was also a Gatekeeper, Pyronia tithonus, who was nectaring on a
large thistle in full sun, but moved hastily to bramble (in the shade)
when he saw that I had my camera, as he had read the book and knew that
was supposed to be his favorite tipple. My photographs of him are
undistinguished, but the caterpillars came out nicely.

The pine martens send their greetings. Sophy is well, though not as
lovely and young as once she was, and the twins are handsome and lively.
They are, as I write, galloping about over the kitchen.

Happy days
Anne Kilmer
Mayo, Ireland