Recognize caterpillar? and interesting larval camouflage

Liz Day beebuzz at kiva.net
Sun Jul 22 23:24:56 EDT 2001

 >   puss caterpilars (at least in North America) have stinging hairs hidden
 >beneath the soft surface hairs. I don't think they squirt anything. They are
 >in the genus Lagoa.

The common name thing has tripped us up again.   In that great book,
Caterpillars of Eastern Forests, I see two larvae both called "puss" - one
is Lagoa, covered with fur, and the other one, which looks like the Swedish
picture, is Furcula, with no fur and long tails.  In two dif
families.   *sigh*   Book says the tails are "extrusible" but no mention of
squirting, so I guess I was wrong.

Liz