Serious first, fun second.

Liz Day beebuzz at kiva.net
Wed Jul 25 19:10:50 EDT 2001

 >> Are you sure the Lorquin's Admirals were not California Sisters?

 >...there are some stiff requirements among birders to insure proper
identifications..... I often see bogus listings in their unilateral
"sightings" of leps.

Ron, you are correct, but incomplete.   I read a daily birding list that
consists mostly of reports of sightings just like this.   As far as I know,
the information posted to the list does not become any kind of official
scientific record.   Anyone, including beginners who think they saw a
condor in their back yard, can post their reports.   But the official
counts, surveys, and records are not based on internet postings.    I would
hope that no serious scientific work on leps would be either.

 >How many of these have now, or will, become dots on maps?

As someone who is making maps with dots, I figure that if the map author is
careless enough to accept inadequate evidence of a species' presence, the
fault is with the author.

Liz